Preliminary design of potential storage facility for low and intermediate level radioactive waste
An issue concerning the management of radioactive waste (RAW) in the Republic of Croatia continuously rises due to the lack of systematic solutions. In this paper emphasis is being placed on the storage of RAW, as one of the important phases of RAW management. The current RAW storage facilities are not sufficient and there is a need for a new facility for low and intermediate level radioactive waste (LILW), since such waste accounts for the largest part of RAW. For this reason a preliminary estimate for a one-storey structure was carried out, a potential storage facility of LILW that would be constructed at the location of Čerkezovac, Trgovska Gora, the Republic of Croatia, as the currently most prominent location for the realization of the RAW storage facility. The geological characteristics of the site were analysed and, in accordance with the relevant regulations, a static design of the facility was made in the ETABS and SAFE program packages. The construction is typical reinforced concrete structure, rectangular in plan (10,0 x 30,0 m) with a height of 5,9 m. The selected location meets the given parameters of geological characteristics, while the construction meets the given load and serviceability conditions. However, a more detailed analysis would be necessary if the decision to construct such storage facility would be made.
Copyright (c) 2018 Rudarsko-geološko-naftni zbornik
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
In agreeing this form, you certify that:
- You read the ethical codex of the RGN zbornik available at journal web.
- You submitted work is your original work, and has not previously been published and does not include any form of plagiarism.
- You own copyright in the submitted work, and are therefore permitted to assign the licence to publish to RGN zbornik.
- Your submitted work contains no violation of any existing copyright or other third party right or any material of an obscene, libellous or otherwise unlawful nature.
- You have obtained permission for and acknowledged the source of any illustrations, diagrams or other material included in the work of which you are not the copyright owner.
- You have taken due care to ensure the accuracy of the work, and that, to the best of your knowledge, there are no false statements made within it.
- All co-authors of this submitted work are aware of, and in agreement with, the terms of this licence and that the submitted manuscript has been approved by these authors.
You retain copyright in your submitted work, according to journal license policy (CC-BY). By signing this form you agree that RGN zbornik may publish it under the publication licence. In summary the licence allows the following:
Anyone is free:
- To copy, distribute, display, and perform the work.
- To make derivative works.
Under the following conditions:
- The original author must always be given credit.
- The work may not be used for commercial purposes.
- If the work is altered, transformed, or built upon, the resulting work may only be distributed under a licence identical to this one.
Exceptions to the licence
In addition to publishing the work printed under the above licence, RGN zbornik will also enable the work to be visible online.
The journal editorial can change the licence rules anytime but it cannot retroactively restrict author(s) rights.