ANALYSIS OF CONSTRUCTIONAL AND OPERATIONAL PARAMETERS OF CHAIN SAW
AbstractChain saw machines are used for cutting vertical or horizontal cuts in underground and surface exploitationof dimension stone. Chainsaw performance in quarrying dimension stone depends on the right choice of machine’soperational parameters, cutting elements as well as the conditions and methods of quarrying in the certain type of rock.The key operational parameters which the operator must arrange on a chain saw are chain speed and cart speedmovement, while the values of this parameters are based on manufacturer's recommendations and/or the operatorexperience. The main objective of this paper is to analyze the relationship between the operational parameters, chaindesign and chainsaw performance. Based on previous research, despite the limited literature on chain saw performance,it can be concluded that chain saws do not operate with optimum operational parameters, and current chain designs arenot efficient enough. Influence of the cutting chain design on the chainsaw performance can be analyzed by laboratorytests using a linear cutting machine. Although previous researches provide specific guidelines to increase chainsawperformance, further research should be directed to determine the optimal arrangement and the number of tools in thecutting segment as well as to the influence of the cutting geometry on the force and cutting energy.It is also reported that insufficient efficiency of chainsaw machines is due the shallow depth of cuts taken by the cuttingtools. Chain saw performance can be increased with the increase of the depth of cutting tools or with the decrease ofchain speed respectively. Optimal chain speed cannot be determined solely on the basis of the specific energy since theoptimal speed also depends on the cutting force and the wear of cutting tools as well as on the amount of materialcreated during the cutting. Additional laboratory and field experiments should analyse the influence of the abovequantities on chain saw performance in order to determine optimum constructional and operational parameters.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
In agreeing this form, you certify that:
- You read the ethical codex of the RGN zbornik available at journal web.
- You submitted work is your original work, and has not previously been published and does not include any form of plagiarism.
- You own copyright in the submitted work, and are therefore permitted to assign the licence to publish to RGN zbornik.
- Your submitted work contains no violation of any existing copyright or other third party right or any material of an obscene, libellous or otherwise unlawful nature.
- You have obtained permission for and acknowledged the source of any illustrations, diagrams or other material included in the work of which you are not the copyright owner.
- You have taken due care to ensure the accuracy of the work, and that, to the best of your knowledge, there are no false statements made within it.
- All co-authors of this submitted work are aware of, and in agreement with, the terms of this licence and that the submitted manuscript has been approved by these authors.
You retain copyright in your submitted work, according to journal license policy (CC-BY). By signing this form you agree that RGN zbornik may publish it under the publication licence. In summary the licence allows the following:
Anyone is free:
- To copy, distribute, display, and perform the work.
- To make derivative works.
Under the following conditions:
- The original author must always be given credit.
- The work may not be used for commercial purposes.
- If the work is altered, transformed, or built upon, the resulting work may only be distributed under a licence identical to this one.
Exceptions to the licence
In addition to publishing the work printed under the above licence, RGN zbornik will also enable the work to be visible online.
The journal editorial can change the licence rules anytime but it cannot retroactively restrict author(s) rights.