Construction and testing of the measurement system for excavator productivity
Hydraulic excavator is one of the most used machines in mining, construction and geotechnics. Monitoring its productivity can gain benefits like savings in fuel consumption and maintenance, cost optimization of working parameters and higher working efficiency. Measurement system for such purpose can be complex and expensive, requires special equipment from manufacturer and does not exist as out of the box solution that would measure working parameters such as bucket trajectory, digging energy, digging force etc.
Measuring system was designed to monitor productivity and gather working parameters. It consists of three pressure transmitters for measuring cylinder pressures, three draw wire sensors for cylinder elongations, one inertial measurement unit for measurement of swing angle and one logger unit for data acquisition and storage. Logger unit, equipped with SD card module and 12-bit AD converter, is based on Atmega328 microcontroller, which allows for usage of Arduino IDE and already developed libraries.
The system was tested in a laboratory to determine its accuracy, resolution and usable sample rate. Cylinder pressure can be measured in range 0-500 bar with excellent accuracy of 0.026 % FSO and 0.15 bar resolution. Cylinder elongation can be measured in range 0-2300 mm with accuracy of 0.26 % FSO and 0.58 mm resolution. Swing angle measurement accuracy is 1.5° per circle. Usable sample rate of the system is found to be 39 Hz-588 Hz, depending on the logger executing code.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 authors and journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
In agreeing this form, you certify that:
- You read the ethical codex of the RGN zbornik available at journal web.
- You submitted work is your original work, and has not previously been published and does not include any form of plagiarism.
- You own copyright in the submitted work, and are therefore permitted to assign the licence to publish to RGN zbornik.
- Your submitted work contains no violation of any existing copyright or other third party right or any material of an obscene, libellous or otherwise unlawful nature.
- You have obtained permission for and acknowledged the source of any illustrations, diagrams or other material included in the work of which you are not the copyright owner.
- You have taken due care to ensure the accuracy of the work, and that, to the best of your knowledge, there are no false statements made within it.
- All co-authors of this submitted work are aware of, and in agreement with, the terms of this licence and that the submitted manuscript has been approved by these authors.
You retain copyright in your submitted work, according to journal license policy (CC-BY). By signing this form you agree that RGN zbornik may publish it under the publication licence. In summary the licence allows the following:
Anyone is free:
- To copy, distribute, display, and perform the work.
- To make derivative works.
Under the following conditions:
- The original author must always be given credit.
- The work may not be used for commercial purposes.
- If the work is altered, transformed, or built upon, the resulting work may only be distributed under a licence identical to this one.
Exceptions to the licence
In addition to publishing the work printed under the above licence, RGN zbornik will also enable the work to be visible online.
The journal editorial can change the licence rules anytime but it cannot retroactively restrict author(s) rights.