Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Izvorni znanstveni članak

TWO 17th CENTURY PRESENTATIONS OF TROGIR FORTIFICATIONS

Andrej Žmegač ; Insitut za povijest umjetnosti Zagreb


Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 1.303 Kb

verzije

str. 297-305

preuzimanja: 373

citiraj

Puni tekst: engleski pdf 1.303 Kb

verzije

str. 297-305

preuzimanja: 342

citiraj


Sažetak

The British Library in London keeps two depictions of Trogir that tell of
one phase in the development of its defensive zone. The first picture ((55x48 cm, shelf mark Maps K.Top.78.31.a, fol. 6) contains a design of the bastion fortifications, in which three bastions were foreseen onto the land, the approach between the bastions leading over the ravelin, and on the other side of the ditch a caponier. The second depiction (55x43 cm, shelf mark Maps K.Top.78.31.a, fol. 26) gives a view of the state to which the described plan has been built, in which it can be seen that at that time the north-east bastion (called the Foscolo, after the providore generale responsible for its construction) had been built, as well as the more westerly bastion (later named the Bernardo, after the providore during whose term of office it was completed) was built only to a small extent, while the third bastion to the west had not yet been started. If we correlate the state of affairs shown with the historical sources, we might date this ground plan to 1648 or a little later. These are the first years of the Cretan War (1645-1669), when the Venetian cities of Dalmatia started getting their new bastion-equipped fortifications (Trogir, Šibenik, Split). According to further historical data, the plan can be connected with Alessandro Magli, a praiseworthy and very much employed fortification engineer in these cities. At the time of Providore Bernardo (1656-1660), the design was abandoned, and the third bastion was not built; only after the completion of the second bastion, the walls were directed towards the older St Mark’s Tower on the NW corner of the city’s fortifications.
The project, not completed though it was, contained the aspiration to have a regular polygonal form of defensive zone, which was the ideal in the time of bastion fortifications. The literal implementation of this principle would have meant in Trogir the cutting of the western part of the town with the new stretch of ramparts and its linking with the medieval Kamerlengo Castello in the SW corner. In the design described, such a course of the walls is provided for, and the existing St Mark’s Tower would have been retained in front of the new fortress like some kind of islet, with a role similar to that of a ravelin. It can be hypothesised that this project was too demanding, and this was the reason why the original project was abandoned, and a more modest and simpler approach not including a third bastion was adopted instead.

Ključne riječi

Hrčak ID:

101781

URI

https://hrcak.srce.hr/101781

Datum izdavanja:

15.8.2011.

Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 1.386 *