Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Izvorni znanstveni članak

The church of st. Kate and the Franciscan monastery in Novigrad – from establishment in late 14th to destruction in late 16th century

Ivna Anzulović ; Zavod za povijesne znanosti HAZU u Zadru

Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 3.589 Kb

str. 143-171

preuzimanja: 1.034



The church of St. Kate and the Franciscan monastery in Novigrad were erected in a secluded place, in a deep bay to the southeast from the fortress and its suburbia, shielded by walls. Brothers Butko and Toma, dukes of Krbava, built the church and the monastery in 1393/4. They were at that time in possession of Novigrad and its wider area. This was after Queen Mary’s liberation from captivity in Novigrad. The monastery had belonged to Bosnian vicarage probably from its establishment to 1467, and later, until its desertion in 1576, it belonged to Dalmatian vicarage. Due to close vicinity of Venetian–Turkish border (approximately 2 km), the Franciscans deserted the monastery demolished during the war, while the church of St. Kate continued to function only as graveyard church for the Novigrad parish. The paper is to the most part based on the analysis of the original archival material kept at the State Archives in Zadar, the Science Library in Zadar and the Archives of the Franciscan Monastery of St. Francis in Zadar. Since the end of the 14th century, the church of St. Kate and the monastery have often been mentioned in the Zadar notaries’ documents, in particular in last wills and testaments of the Zadar and Split (Petračić, de Chuteis, Papalić) nobility in Zadar, as well as others. It is presumed that there existed a last will and testament in Zadar, pursuant to which support was to be provided to Bosnian friars of Novigrad, Pašman and Ugljan. These last wills and testaments offer valuable information regarding the history of the church, the monastery, and the Franciscan friars; as well as an insight into the life of the citizens of Novigrad and its surroundings. They further contain names of the brethren and the guardian of the monastery in Novigrad. At first, friars came from England and Spain, but there were also several local ones among them, e.g. Friar Ivan from Korčula, Friar Ambroz from Korčula, and Friar Ambroz from Kotor. These documents further inform us about individual citizens of Novigrad, who had left legacies to the church and the monastery; several of them were buried there as well, e.g. the families of Katić, Bradić, Blašković, Bolić, Poletilić, Sinovčić, etc. In last wills and testaments, there are also data on the number of brethren (twelve), the chapter, the cloister where contracts had been concluded, and the necessity for the restoration of the monastery. This offers us information on the exterior and the size of the monastery, which was located along the southwest side of the church, and the remains of which were discovered during archaeological research conducted in 2005.

Ključne riječi

Novigrad, church of St. Kate, Franciscan monastery, Bosnian vicarage, dukes of Krbava, Zadar and Split nobility, population of Novigrad

Hrčak ID:



Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 1.552 *