Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Prethodno priopćenje

https://doi.org/10.21857/y54jofp57m

CHAPEL OF ST. JEROME IN ŠTRIGOVA – SOUL SAVING PILGRIMAGE SITE OF FREDERICK OF CILLI

Zoran Turk ; Muzej Međimurja Čakovec


Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 1.063 Kb

str. 667-685

preuzimanja: 321

citiraj

Puni tekst: engleski pdf 1.063 Kb

str. 685-685

preuzimanja: 108

citiraj


Sažetak

Scholarly discussion on various issues related to St Jerome and his cult, including
the age-old question of his birthplace, was recently revitalized following
the publication of the translation of Josip Bedeković’s eighteenth-century monograph
on the ‘Illyrian’ Doctor of the Church. This question has indeed intrigued
various authors for quite some time, and we will try to offer some answers with
respect to the rise of St Jerome’s cult in medieval Štrigova, a purported place of
his birth, and to explain initial phases of the process which eventually included
Štrigova into the relatively large group of places along the borders of Roman provinces
of Pannonia and Dalmatia. In 1447 Freiderick of Cilli built a chapel dedicated
to Saint Jerome in Štrigova and later strove to establish it as a pilgrimage site.
He soon received a papal bull which recognized Štrigova as the birthplace of the
Saint. Only after these mid-fifteenth-century events took place, Štrigova started
to appear in numerous narrative and cartographic sources as his birthplace, a
tradition still cherished today. Narrative sources tell us that Štrigova was one of
the centres of Glagolitic priests, who would have surely made the connection
between the toponym Štrigova and Roman Stridon and we will, thus, focus on
the role of this group in the establishment of both Jerome’s cult in Štrigova and
the place’s identification with Jerome’s hometown of Stridon.

Ključne riječi

Štrigova, Međimurje, Counts of Cilli, Frankapan counts, Saint Jerome, glagolitic priests.

Hrčak ID:

231140

URI

https://hrcak.srce.hr/231140

Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 838 *