Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Izvorni znanstveni članak

The Population of Dubrovnik District and their Property by the End of 1830

Ivo Perić ; Zavod za povijesne znanosti HAZU u Dubrovniku, Dubrovnik, Hrvatska


Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 9.031 Kb

str. 161-174

preuzimanja: 145

citiraj


Sažetak

Dalmatia had its self-governed regional administration under Austrian rule. The highest form of administration was performed by regional government with its domicile in Zadar. Lower regional administration units were the following: districts, townships and communes. Dubrovnik was the capital of one of the four Dalmatian districts; it consisted of 6 townships and 22 communes stretching throughout the whole territory of the former Dubrovnik Republic and the island of Korčula.
By the end of 1830 there were 8337 houses, 8544 families and 45346 inhabitants in the district of Dubrovnik. According to religious beliefs 44680 inhabitants were Catholics, 406 orthodox and 260 Jews.
To the census dating from that time we also have livestock and means of transport listed. So we learn that there were 336 horses, 3072 oxen, 682 cows, 2177 mules, 1064 donkeys, 28373 sheep, 26472 goats and 5359 swine. Oxen were used for ploughing not only wheat and corn fields but also land intended for bringing up new vineyards. Cows and goats were mostly kept for milk, whereas the latter were much easier to breed. Therefore on some islands (e.g. Koločep, Lopud, Šipan, Korčula, Lastovo) there were no cows at all.
Mules, horses and donkeys were mostly used for transport purposes. As there were almost no roads, in the whole district there were only 6 carts. But on the contrary, sea travel and fishing were quite developed for there are 970 vessels listed.

Ključne riječi

population, Dubrovnik, real property, 19th century

Hrčak ID:

241353

URI

https://hrcak.srce.hr/241353

Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 360 *