Skip to the main content

Original scientific paper

The Largest Dubrovnik Sailing Ship Constructed in Gruž

Ivo Perić ; Institute for Historical Sciences of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Dubrovnik, Croatia


Full text: croatian pdf 1.709 Kb

page 217-222

downloads: 376

cite


Abstract

The shipping of Dubrovnik and its ship-builders, who had built vessels of many types and capable of various voyages, were widely known for centuries. During the Dubrovnik Republic Gruž was the centre of shipbuilding industry and continued to be so long after its fall. In the second half of the 19th century trying to compete with an ever-growing number of steamships, immense sailing-vessels were built exceeding in size all the previous ones. "Dvanaesti Dubrovački", the Dubrovnik nava, was constucted in Gruž in 1875. With her 1246 deadweight tons, overall length 59,30 m, beam 10,58 m and draught 6,28 m, she was the biggest ship the Gruž shipyard had ever built and at the time of her launch and her first voyages she was the largest wooden sailing-vessel in the Austrian trading fleet. The Dubrovnik shareholders shipping company was the owner of this nava. Under the fierce pressure of the rising steamships, the company was forced to sell out all its wooden sailing-ships. By 1888 with the selling of its last biggest vessel-"Dvanaesti Dubrovački" the liquidation was over. The ship was sold in New York harbour.

Keywords

ship, shipping, Dvanaesti Dubrovački

Hrčak ID:

239952

URI

https://hrcak.srce.hr/239952

Article data in other languages: croatian

Visits: 610 *