APA 6th Edition Pekić, R. (2017). Cernica u doba Kosača. Hercegovina, (3), 69-98. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69
MLA 8th Edition Pekić, Radmilo. "Cernica u doba Kosača." Hercegovina, vol. , br. 3, 2017, str. 69-98. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69. Citirano 17.01.2021.
Chicago 17th Edition Pekić, Radmilo. "Cernica u doba Kosača." Hercegovina , br. 3 (2017): 69-98. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69
Harvard Pekić, R. (2017). 'Cernica u doba Kosača', Hercegovina, (3), str. 69-98. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69
Vancouver Pekić R. Cernica u doba Kosača. Hercegovina [Internet]. 2017 [pristupljeno 17.01.2021.];(3):69-98. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69
IEEE R. Pekić, "Cernica u doba Kosača", Hercegovina, vol., br. 3, str. 69-98, 2017. [Online]. https://doi.org/10.47960/2712-1844.2017.3.69
Sažetak Based on the published and unpublished sources from
the Dubrovnik archives, as well as earlier field research,
the paper presents, apart from the references to the past,
economic and cultural position of the Cernica residents
during the reign of the noble Kosaca family.
In the extant historiography medieval Cernica was recognized
as one of the caravan stops on the 'Dubrovnik road'.
Cernica was ruled by the squires from the house of Kosaca
starting from the 70s of the 14th century until 1456, when
it was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire. Duke Sandalj
Hranic established the customs office in Cernica. As
the time passed, Cernica became a trade centre. The market
and the main residential area were situated in the Cernica
field. Moreover, Cucenica, the place situated in the Cernica
field, where medieval monuments were found, is even today
referred to as Grad (town) or carsija (centre of the city) by
One of the most important residences of the noble Kosaca
family was a nearby fortified town called Kljuc, in which
Kosaca dukes welcomed ambassadors and issued them
Sandalj Hranic and his heir Herzog Stefan Vukcic Kosaca
controlled the road traffic that connected Dubrovnik with
Bosnia and Serbia over Cernica and Kljuc. Merchants who
used the 'Dubrovnik road' were robbed by the Kosaca's servants
in Cernica and its nearby area, often with the permission
from their masters.
The residents of Cernica were primarily involved in livestock
farming and agriculture while some, to a lesser
extent, were craftsmen. Surplus products from livestock
farming and agriculture were exported to Dubrovnik.
Due to preserved trade contracts which the residents from
Cernica signed in Dubrovnik, we can conclude that their
business associates were usually butchers and fabrics manufacturers
and merchants. Therefore, the export from
Cernica largely focused on livestock, wax and other raw materials, while the import consisted from different fabrics
and other goods. Businessmen from Cernica usually
bought goods taking loans from the Dubrovnik investors.
Certain number of steles and sites of former churches are
preserved as material remains from the medieval period.
Steles from this area were removed and today they can be
found at the museums in Sarajevo and Belgrade. A church,
which was, according to the popular belief, built by Jelena
Lazarevic, Sandalj Hranic's wife, has been excavated recently
at the site of the orthodox cemetery in Makov Val.