Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Izvorni znanstveni članak

THE CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION (SIGURATA) ON PRIJEKO IN DUBROVNIK

Željko Peković ; Konzervatorski odjel, Dubrovnik


Puni tekst: engleski pdf 6.569 Kb

str. 269-270

preuzimanja: 589

citiraj

Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 6.569 Kb

str. 253-269

preuzimanja: 244

citiraj


Sažetak

The Church of the Transfiguration (Sigurata) is situated in the north western part of the Prijeko quarter in the historical centre of Dubrovnik. Today it forms part of the Women's Franciscan Monastery of the Transfiguration. The Transfiguration Church now has three aisles and acquired its contemporary appearance after its restoration following an earthquake in 1667. It was late r badly damaged during attacks on Dubrovnik by Serbs, Montenegrins and Yugoslav Army (JNA) in 1991 and 1992. Its roof endured two direct hits, while projectiles landing in its courtyard badly damaged the front facade of the church. The first direct hit to the building damaged the roof and vaulting over the southern aisle, while the second, stronger hit destroyed the north western corner of the cupola and a section of the vaulting with transverse ribs. Restoration and detailed research on the church began in 1992 and the findings considerably enhanced the information previously known on this pre Romanesque edifice and on its subsequent renovations and addition s, the last of which took place after the 1667 earthquake. Archaeological research proved the existence of two earlier churches of similar ground plans on the location of the pre-Romanesque church. The oldest had a rectangular nave and a rectangular apse. The lateral walls had deep exterior rectangular niches and semi-circular interior niches. The church would have been vaulted. Its construction can be dated to the 6th century. The next phase of the construction relates to its renovation in the 9th century. The facade was significantly reworked and the floor raised. Two pairs of pilasters were added to its walls, dividing the nave in three bays. The building of the pre-Romanesque church destroyed this last phase of construction, but it kept the old plan and flooring . Large sections of the original 11th century building have been found including elements explaining its internal and external distribution. The building remained single-aisled with three bays with two pairs of pilasters with » T« cross-sections. The pilasters were linked by double blind arches. Semi-circular niches stood between each set of pilasters. The pilasters continued into the vaulting as transverse ribs. Two bays had barrel vaulting with embossed mortar edges giving it a cross-vault appearance. The apse was rectangular both inside and out during this period. The central bay has a cupola resting on a low drum over pendentives. The exterior of both the church and the cupola had shallow niches. It has been confirmed that the church was greatly renovated in the pre Romanesque period when the side facades were remodelled to include double blind arcades. With the opening of a doorway in the northern facade in the first bay next to the altar a street access was established. Further renovations led to the extension of the sanctuary. The apse was laterally widened and given new barrel vaulting. Two aisles were added sometime during the 16th or at the beginning of the 17th century meaning that the walls between the internal pilasters had to be removed. The nave maintained its barrel vaulting and cupola. The aisles at this time were covered by a timber roof structure and the whole church was received a simple saddle-roof. The facade was entirely redesigned to complete the now triple-aisled church. Shallow cross-vaulted ceilings were added to the aisles probably as additional support for the nave vault which was damaged in 1667 by a strong earth quake. The form of a saddle-roof was repeated, but the timber roof structure above the aisles was replaced by rubble infill between new vaults and roof tiles laid in mortar. A sacristy was built in continuation of the north aisle to the corner of the apse which eliminated the link between the church and Od Sigurate Street. The church has been renovated with traditional materials and techniques preserving and showing as many original elements from the various phases of its construction as possible. The church returned to congregational use and was consecrated on 14th October 1995.

Ključne riječi

Hrčak ID:

111459

URI

https://hrcak.srce.hr/111459

Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 1.232 *