Skoči na glavni sadržaj

Izvorni znanstveni članak


Emil Hilje ; Filozofski fakultet u Zadru

Puni tekst: hrvatski pdf 4.123 Kb

str. 109-118

preuzimanja: 376


Puni tekst: engleski pdf 4.123 Kb

str. 109-118

preuzimanja: 262



The construction of Saint Mary at Pag started in 1443 and lasted, with several interruptions and changes of architects, till the ene of the 15th century. Its first builders were two brothers, Pavao and Juraj Dimitrovi from Zadar. It is also known that Juraj Dalmatinac entered into the contract for the building (or completion) of its front, through he never carried it out. Based on a comparison of the columns and caitals on the inside with the stylistic features of the ciborium of the Cathedral at Korčula. C. Fiskovć submits that they may be a handwork of Marko Andrijić.
As a document from1492 shows, Andrijić really worked on the church for which he, together with Nicola Alegreti, recevied a pay of seventy ducats. However, since the church was dedicated in 1487, we must asume that the arcades, along with the walls of the central nave and the lateral aisles, as well as the roofing, had alredy been completed by that time and that the mentioned payment concerns some other works. Namely, at that period the completion of the front was already under way, as the litigation between the procurator and the son of Juraj Dalmatinac carried on in September 1491 proves. On the aforesaid occasion the Master’s son rejected the procurator’s offer to carry out his father’s engagement. Therefore, it is highly probable that the front was completed by Marko Andrijić in collaboration with Nicola Algreti. The hypothesis may be further corroborated by the reliefs on the upper part of the front, showing considerable analogies with the verified works by this master, particularly with the figure of the Virgin which is betrayed by the same awkward posture and the some treatment of drapery, and whose face bears an expression very much alike that of the figure from the ciborium at Korčula. The same may be said of the faces and hairdresses of the unfinished figures of the Saints George and Michael and the Angel Gabriel.
Therefore, we submit that Marko Andrijić worked on the church of Pag on two occasions: prior to 1487 he articulated its interior by a harmonious row of arcades, sculpturing tha capitals by himself while from the end of 1491 till the end of 1492 he completed the fornt decorating it with figures in high relief, leaving some of them unfinished because the commissioner fell into financial difficulties.
The Pag works add to the known oeuvre of the builder and sculptor from Korčula, confirming his comparatively limited artistc achievements and the dominant Gothic tradition (especially in sculpture) which prevail upon the fresh Renaissance influences.

Ključne riječi

Hrčak ID:



Podaci na drugim jezicima: hrvatski

Posjeta: 1.091 *